Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Law

     I finally finished reading the second half of "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan. That is a great book! Now I'm reading "The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread" by Richard Booker. It is based on a sermon preached on New Year's Eve 1961 by Dr. W. A. Criswell. This was a sermon that lasted four hours and Dr. Criswell couldn't finish. It was then published by Dr. Criswell in book form. His book by the same title is no longer in print. I will have to watch for it on Amazon or EBay or something. Why Richard Booker doesn't mention Dr. Criswell I don't know. But I'm always skeptical of people who say "The Spirit revealed to me…" When everyone knows where they really got it. I might have to write someone a letter. I do that sometimes.

     But at any rate…In my own study time I was thinking about my own salvation. Some of this is seen in the scarlet thread and some isn't. I know I am saved by grace thru faith. It's God's grace. All I can do is have faith in it. But I see so many people trying to work their way to Heaven. That's sad. It can't be done. Mankind is too far separated from God. I see people who believe the Law can save them. If this were true Christ died in vain.
Romans 3:20 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin."
And Galatians 2:21 "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."
     So why do people do it? If they truly study the Law like they say they do then they would know that the Law was not written for Gentiles. The fact is that the Sacrifices and Feasts (all the dos in the Law) were forbidden for Gentiles. A Gentile could not keep these parts of the Law unless he converted to Israel by circumcision and baptism (works). The only thing the Gentiles were allowed to recognize were the don'ts. Modern day legalists (Pharisees) conveniently forget this. Under the Law it was actually illegal for Gentiles to keep feast days including and especially the Passover.
     It is important to understand that Christ fulfilled the old covenant. We now live under a new covenant. The Jews stumbled at the Law because they didn't understand the spirit of the Law is more important than the letter of the Law.
Romans 9:32 "Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;"
     Those who live by the letter of the Law do so because they don't understand how to walk in the Spirit. Because they don't have the Spirit. But the Law will not save them. It will only judge and condemn them. The Law is not to live by it is to learn by. Big difference. Christ has fulfilled and abolished the Law.
Ephesians 2:15 "Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;"
Acts 13:39 "And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses."
     So think about all this next time you decide it is time to clear your house of leaven or you are looking for a church that meets on Saturday. Think about it. Pray about it. And trust God and allow Him to give you peace.

     God bless you all.
     Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment